Sunday, January 29, 2012

Light Switch Covers, Redecorated Using Spray Paint.

Let me start off by saying it's a great feeling having internet again! Our provider had some sort of issue, and we we're without internet for 4 days. Which isn't too bad, but it made me realize how much I rely on the internet.

Anyway, I found some light switch covers at the Habitat for Humanity Restore, as I had mentioned in my DIY Comic Coasters post, for only .10 cents. There's so many different crafty things you can do with light switch covers, but I wanted to try my husband's spray paint art. I love how they turned out, and it was really very simple.


Start with a clean light switch plate. Spray on a base coat, for the example I am showing my base coat is black. Probably the easiest way to learn how to paint like this is to refer to our video posted in a previous blog; A Quick Look at Spray Paint Art. After letting the base coat dry, start planning out your planets, if you want them in the corner, in the middle. Plan your colors as well, and also it's important to find household objects to protect the planets as you paint around them. In this one, I used a small soup can, and two spray paint caps. 



Spray paint in a round shape, in the area you would like your planets, take a sheet of newspaper, wax paper, aluminium foil, or magazine page to place on top of the wet starting of the planet. Here's is an example, I used a magazine page. I folded it, pressed it down and peeled it off, when you are satisfied with your planet colors and pattern, place the household item on top of it. Repeat the same, for other planets.


Once you're done with the planets, it should look something like this:

Spray the base coat color on again, around the household items.


Let the paint dry a few minutes, and then take a can of white paint, and spray in on the side of each can, cap or whatever you are using to cover the planet, this creates a white ring effect. Here's an example:


You can leave it like that, or you can spray some paint on your index finger (with rubber gloves on) and flick in onto the light switch to create stars. Slowly remove the the caps, and there you have it! 


Here it is, without the messy background, followed by the other one I made.





3 comments:

Please feel free to comment. I promise I will read each of them. Thanks for stopping by! :)