Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Saltine Toffee

I was looking for a fairly easy dessert to make for a family gathering. I love the concept of baking, but I am not the best at it. I stumbled upon a recipe for Saltine Toffee. I had all the ingredients except the chocolate chips, which are of course easily obtainable. I went to the store, got some peanut butter and chocolate swirl chips, instead of just the regular chocolate. I am one of those crazy people that do not love chocolate, so I figured with the chips being half chocolate, half peanut butter it wouldn't be overboard in the chocolate department. I know, I know I'm weird ;). This recipe was so easy, and so good, I have since then made a few more batches to pass out with the recipe just to share it with friends and family. Here is the recipe I used courtesy of Mommy's Kitchen:



Saltine Toffee Candy aka Cracker Candy
1 1/2 - sleeves saltine crackers
1 1/4 - cups butter, not margarine
1 1/4 - cup light brown sugar
1 - 12 oz package chocolate chips or
1 - 8 oz package milk chocolate toffee bits
1 - cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts or almonds)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Lay crackers out on sheet in one layer. In a medium sized saucepan melt the butter and the brown sugar. Stir often and bring to a full rolling boil. After the mixture comes to a full rolling boil set your timer and boil the mixture for exactly 3 minutes.

Pour over the saltines and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips and wait until they are almost melted then spread the chocolate evenly all over all the saltines. Sprinkle on the nuts all over the top as evenly as possible. Refrigerate for two hours and then break up into pieces and store in a air tight container.

1 comment:

  1. These are Wonderful. They are easy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment. I promise I will read each of them. Thanks for stopping by! :)